Sunday, March 10, 2013

Organization!

I have self-diagnosed ADD. My mind races at a million miles a minute and I hop from one thing to the next. It's frustrating as Hell to get things done. I manage but I use a LOT of organizing tricks. Needless to say, I'm always on the look out for something new or a reminder of something I can repurpose.

This week, I came across one of Michael Hyatt's organization blog posts. (There's a link to his blog in my Blog Roll.) Basically, Michael said he sorts his to do list into 3 priority categories, 1 being most urgent, 2 being important and 3 not important at all. He tackles his 1's, moves to his 2's, and maybe gets to some of his 3's in a day.

I tried his system today. It was HARD!!! I FORCED myself to sort my work into 3 piles. The hard part was not starting in on stuff before I was done sorting. I went a step further and made a list of my to do's and stuck the list on each pile - I have big, ruled sticky notes so I can easily make lists.

It was a weight off!!! I feel focused and able to tackle the important items without losing sight of the lesser items. I knocked out half my 1 list today (Saturday).

Tomorrow I plan to set a timer for each of the writing projects I have. I need to finish up a quarterly newsletter and write a script for phase one of a video project. Then it's on to 50 note cards. Lots of writing!

My goal is to spend 1-2 hours daily at a coffee shop in our building so I can have focused work time without interruptions.

Anyway, I'm excited to see how this works on Monday when I'm in the office and facing a bunch of interruptions!

No comments: