Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mini Me's Peace Sign Birthday Party

Peace Sign & '70's Themed Birthday Party
Mini Me LOVES peace signs. 
Has ever since she was 4 years old. 

For her 6th birthday party, Mini Me chose the 
peace sign plate and napkin from Birthday Express


Birthday Graphic
J created this graphic for our TV and iPod screens. 
This image rotated with images of Mini Me as a baby.
J found the fabric and created her headband and "bell bottoms."
The funky colored hair is hers (again, done by her father).
Mini Me has been sporting the hair color for about three weeks now.

Birthday Party for less than the cost of a cake!
My dear friend, Dr. C., had a great birthday spread for her babysitter's 30th birthday. I stole some of her ideas and borrowed a few things from her. I also went online and Googled "peace sign birthday ideas." Here is how my version turned out...

 Peace Sign Water Bottles
Image found via Google and printed on shipping label paper.
I cut it out using a paper cutter.
You can get the right sized labels if you want.
I just used what I already had.

 The Food Table

 Tie Dye Cupcakes
Vanilla cake mix $1 at WalMart. 4-Pack food dye $2. 
Vanilla icing $1.50. Paper cupcake cups $1.
Make cake mix per instructions.
Divide cake mix in 4 bowls.
Use a LOT of food dye to get dark, vivid colors.
Use a teaspoon to scoop approx. 1/2 teaspoon of each color (1-by-1) into paper cups.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
Bake per instructions. Let cool.
Use icing bag to make Peace Sign on cupcakes.
We happen to have a professional server tray that I covered with pink tissue paper $1.
Arrange on tray in Peace Sign (took 21 cupcakes)


 Skittles 
'70's colors, right...?
'70's Fabric
$3/yard fabric from Wal-Mart left over from Mini Me's outfit


 Peace Sign Popcorn
Dr. C. loaned me her popcorn box.
It's just a box covered in wrapping paper w/square holes cut out.
I messed up the popcorn logo.
The logo was supposed to go inside but I couldn't get it right.
J was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him to get help on it. 
The girls are 6 years old - they didn't notice or care!
16 popcorn cups = 2 bags of microwave popcorn
Use card stock paper and clear tape.


 Water was chilled first
Also, I used multi-colored Sharpies to write the kid's names on the bottles


Brownies
These were "kid friendly" brownies
It was a Brownie mix. 
I normally make things from scratch but I was kinda busy.


Wii Dance Party
Dr. C. loaned us the color changing lights that moved to the beat of the music.
This kept them busy ALL evening.
Most of the time, ALL of the girls were up dancing with or without Wii remotes


70's Party Games & Outfits
I remember playing Hot Potato and Musical Chairs when I was a kid in the 70's.
The guests were invited to dress in 70's/Peace Sign outfits. 
The girls were all so very cute and creative!!!

Hot Potato Game
I found multi-colored tissue paper at Dollar Tree for $1. 
I also found glow in the dark bracelets 15/$1 at Dollar Tree and Michaels. 
I wrapped one glow stick in each layer of paper, enough layers 
so each child at the party got a glow bracelet. (see it on the wrists above?)
Each time a child was eliminated, they peeled a layer and got a glow bracelet.

Musical Chairs Game
We only invited 6 friends (6 years old = 6 friends) 
so we had enough glow bracelets for everyone to have 2.
I had them play musical chairs. Each child eliminated got another glow bracelet.

Bracelet Making
This was BONUS!!!
Mini Me's brother is having a Sonic Birthday Party. We found "Chaos Emeralds" at Dollar Tree for $1/bag. There were so many non-Chaos Emeralds left over, I bought stretchy bracelet string ($3 WalMart) and let the girls make their own bracelets. J helped the girls.

Birthday Gifts
Gifts are never expected - 
Widney's like to have fun and spend time with friends!


Peace Sign Gift Bags
Canvas Gift Bag
Purchased at Dollar Tree. 3 for $1!!!
They had pink, green, blue, red



Peace Sign Take Home Gift Bag Contents
- Pink Canvas Gift Bag
- Custom Coloring Book w/peace sign pages
- Celebration Packet w/tie dye confetti
- Pet Rock
- Pet Rock Care Instructions w/Extra Eyes & Nose


Coloring Book
Okay, so I have access to a binding machine and I always get sample binding combs from office supply stores that I saved (hoarded) for the perfect opportunity. 
I Googled "Peace Sign Coloring Pages" 
then printed them black & white, 4-up on 8.5x11 paper.
Same with the cover, only that was in color and
 on card stock. The back page was blank card stock.
All the same size. 
I cut one long binding comb in half so it was even cheaper.
Bound the book and I was done.
Coloring Book Back Page
I had extra stickers so I stuck them on the back of the coloring book.
I also gave one to each kid as they arrived.



Celebration Packet
I received a "Thank You" card from Kendra Smiley (parents, buy her books!) 
that had a "Celebration Packet" in it. 
Flat out stole her idea. 
"Toss contents in air and celebrate!"

I don't know how or where I got tie dye 
Sticky Notes from but I found them sitting in our living room
 about two weeks before the birthday party.

I got out my trusty 3-hole punch and made confetti.
Each packet contains about 7 regular size
Sticky Notes hole punched.

Note: I cut off the sticky part first.
Mini bags from Michaels, $2.99 (for 175!)
They can be found in the bracelet/jewelry section
and are about 2"x 3" (give or take).
(The other side of the white confetti has tie dye colors too)

Pet Rock
Michaels had everything!
Bag of about 15 stones, $2.47.
Neon Eyes, $1.97.
Fuzzy Noses, $1.97. 
Hot glue gun and voila!

Be careful gluing the eyes. You have to bend them down so the pupils are on the clear plastic. THEN dab on glue. Otherwise, the eyes can get melted on to the back and not move around. No one wants their Pet Rock to have a lazy eye. Or maybe you do if you or kid has a lazy eye.

 Pet Rock Instruction Packet
I had SO freaking many eyes and noses left over and sometimes they fall off easy. So I put an extra set of the same color eyes and nose in a dime bag with instructions. 
The "dime bags" were purchased at Michaels for $2.99 (for 175!). They can be found in the bracelet/jewelry section and are about 2"x 3" (give or take).

Pet Rock Win!
I have to tell you. 
P slept over and he wanted to sleep with his Pet Rock in bed with him. 
Made my week!


There you have it. I'm sure we did a few other things but well, that should get you started. If you take any of these suggestions, I would LOVE to see your version. Please leave me a comment if you do and a link to your site so I can go check out your photos. Have fun!!!

No comments: