Well, I don't know what you could do if your husband and kids are gone at the same time, but here is a rundown of what I did, out-of-the-ordinary, in the 3.5 days I was left to my own devices:
- finished "reading" 2 audiobooks,
- finished reading a book on iPad
- had a massage,
- proofed 3 stories,
- met with my writing group
- hung out with a new friend,
- helped a friend,
- worked, worked, worked,
- 3 loads of laundry,
- cooked my meals for the week,
- slept in.
If the kids were here, my list would have started, ended, and been consumed with servicing their needs.