Saturday, February 21, 2009

Return on Investment

When we moved to Chicago from Tulsa, I knew we would need to get winter clothing. We didn't own a winter hat, scarf, or boots.  We didn't even own a proper winter coat, or gloves - leather does not count. When I say 'we', I mean between the 4 of us.

When we moved to Chicago from Tulsa, I was TOLD the Chicago winters were FREEZING. And UNBEARABLE. And to be sure we purchased WARM WINTER clothing. Okay. I lived in Toronto. I know it can get brisk at times and I remember the Blizzard of '77. 

I set out purchasing warm clothing. Hats, gloves, scarves, boots, coats, snow pants. I even purchased ear muffs for myself. Down became my friend. I reunited with my former friend, Thinsulate. Lots of money was spent. 

Well, the Chicago winter has been MIILD as far as we are concerned. It is almost March and I am pissed! The weather people said this winter has been among the worst in Chicago's history. Yeah, there was that record setting cold snap last month. But if this is the worst of the hellacious Chicago winters people talk about, then they are wimps!! Sissies. 

Do you know how much I spent on warm winter clothing?? Do you know how many stores I went to, in search of the warm stuff? Sigh. 

Well, there is snow on the ground today, for the first time in weeks. The kids are playing in it. I put their old, Tulsa coats on with their warm Chicago snow pants, etc. This snow is bringing me some return on my investment.
I made white chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate while the kids were outside for over an hour. What a great mommy!!!

Now for the truth...
I somehow managed to burn most of the cookies and I just couldn't bring myself to allow the kids to drink out of my Henn Workshops mugs. It's $18 +shipping to replace ONE mug. I appreciate my mother-in-law more and more each time her son breaks a piece of our full set of 10 dishes.

No comments: