Friday, February 6, 2009

Finished for Friday - Brother-in-Law Hat

Lit and Laundry

My sister-in-law, FaithChick, sent an 'easy' crochet pattern and asked me to make a hat for her husband. Well, I tried. And failed.

I tried again. And again. Finally, I had to get MAM to help me. Turns out, I have been crocheting all wrong!! The amigurumi technique may have messed me up, or in my amateurness, I just missed a few things. At any rate, MAM set me straight. 
Marine Man in his new hat!

I didn't do the original pattern, instead opting for a modified pattern all my own. Crochet is absolutely beautiful when done properly...

And now my husband wants one...

Please head on over to Lit and Laundry
home of Finished for Friday. 
It's pretty amazing what she accomplishs in 1 week!

WIDNEY CROCHET HAT PATTERN
Pattern Rows 1-10 adapted from Lion Brand Yarn Easy Stripes 
Hat #70731AD, minus color mixing.

Gauge: 12 sc = 4 in.

HAT
With A, ch 4, join with sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
R1: Ch 1, work 6 sc in ring, join with sl st in beg ch.
R2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc, join with sl st in beg ch – 12 sc.
R3: Ch 1, *sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 18 sc.
R4: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 24 sc.
R5: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 30 sc.
R6: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 36 sc.
R7: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 42 sc.
R8: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 48 sc.
R9: Ch 1, *sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, join with sl st in beg ch – 54 sc.
R10: Ch 1, *sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, sl st in beg ch – 60 sc. 
(Note: If your gauge lines up, stay at 60 sc to R14. Otherwise, increase to fit adult head as needed.)
R11: Ch 1, *sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, sl st in beg ch – 66 sc. 
R12: Ch 1, *sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, sl st in beg ch – 72 sc.
R13: Ch 1, *sc in next 11 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, sl st in beg ch – 78 sc. 
R14: Ch 1, *sc in next 12 sc, 2 sc in next sc; rep from * around, sl st in beg ch – 84 sc. 
R15-19: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st in beg ch – 84 sc.
R20-21: Ch 1, DC in each sc around, sl st in beg ch – 84 DC.
R22-27: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st in beg ch – 84 sc. 
R28-29: Ch 1, DC in each sc around, sl st in beg ch – 84 DC.
R30-31: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st in beg ch – 84 sc.

BORDER
With B, ch 1, sl st in each sc around, sl st in beg ch.
Additional Row: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st in beg ch. Fasten off.
FINISHING
Weave in ends.

8 comments:

Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Look at you, writing out the pattern and everything! Mama so proud... :-)

Now you just have to sign up to be a Ravelry designer, so you can add your pattern to the database.

FaithChick said...

Sooooooo cool! We still have not been over to MIL to get the hat. Tim asked me about it yesterday. He said Now I will never get it! LOL It looks great and he is going to love it. I will have to try your pattern because I know he is going to want more in different colors. You Rock!!

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

MAM - You SHOULD be a proud Mama!! Thanks so much!! I already have 1 pattern on Ravelry. This will be my second. I had to wait until I posted it here before adding to Ravelry.

FaithChick - I was hoping you would have gotten the finished product before I posted...I do hope Marine likes it.

Cheryl Lage said...

OMIGOODNESS! How cute the cap, and how thoughtful the pattern post!

Freshly returned to the world of crochet, I may have to do this one.

Thank you!

Threeundertwo said...

I am very impressed. I don't think I could write down a pattern if my life depended on it. My brain isn't that organized. I love how the hat turned out, and I love the juxtaposition of warm hat/no shirt. Not your typical winter attire!

Michelle said...

Look at you!!! And I love J's no shirt look, very becoming! lol

Shan said...

Great job! What a nice looking hat!! And I am impressed with the pattern, although I don't have a clue what any of it means:)

Jen said...

This is just beautiful. Love it!