Wednesday, February 18, 2009

American Idol - Live Week 1

I watch American Idol and I think they should have a 5th judge. A non-industry, @home, real person point of view. Mine. Until Simon Fuller, AI producer starts taking my calls, and paying me the big bucks, here is my weekly rundown of the contestants, free of charge.

Songs Theme:
Billboard Hot 100 since it began
This is great because the contestants can choose songs they love, know and are suited to their voices. Let's see who screws up the easiest range of song choice.

Contestants
#1 - Jackie Tohn
Beautiful girl. Photogenic. The running shoes look odd on her skinny legs. The '70's Studio 57 shiny black pants and tube top outfit was bizarre. Her performance looked polished in a heroin addicted way. Jackie is a sweet girl but her voice was just there with her song pick. 

#2 - Ricky Braddy
Nice guy. Likes plaid shirts. His Alicia Keys performance was amazing during Hollywood week. His Leon Russell song choice was nice. I'm sitting here staring at Ricky sing his little heart out and getting drawn into this man's eyes. The scruffy beard is hot. He did transform from Mr. Geek when he was speaking on the couch to a hotty while singing. He's a contender.

#3 - Alexis Grace
Alexis was told to dirty her look up a little bit. She did. She looks great. I didn't think she was strong enough to pull off Aretha vocally. Her performance was good. She owned the song. I want Alexis to stay because I think we will see a lot of great performances out of her.

#4 - Brent Keith
Brent went country. He was believable. Maybe I'm a sucker for a man with deep dimples and skinny legs, but I want this one to stick around. Sadly, I don't think he will. Brent's performance was nice. Safe. Maybe too safe as he didn't show that much range. We'll see if the country fans put their fingers to work.

#5 - Stevie Wright
Nice girl. The song was wrong from the get go. It felt like a high school performance that you grin and bear because your friend's daughter is up there singing her little off-key heart out. Nerves may have gotten the better of this girl. I don't know. I do hope Stevie tries out for Idol next year, or a few years from now when she has more confidence and comes into her own.

#6 - Anoop Desai
Note to contestants: If you are going to sing a song made popular by the opposite sex, change the arrangement. Anoop did himself no favors with this song. I like our South Asian R&B singer.  I'm pulling for AnoopDog, but not sure he did enough to make it to the next round. At the very least, he can show America that not all singing South Asians are freaks like Sanjaya, the Season 6 Idol contestant with the ponytail mohawk!

#7 - Casey Carlson
What the hell was that? She had fun? Really? That was just painful to watch. Even more painful than Stevie Wright. Don't let the microphone hit you on the way to the airport, Casey.

#8 - Michael Sarver
I love Michael. I am pulling for him and have from the moment I learned he was a roughneck who can sing. Y'all didn't know 'roughneck' was actually a job title!! Bad song choice. Bo Bice rocked this song like no one else! Bo did this song better than Gavin DeGraw. I am actually praying Michael sticks around. Maybe it is because I love and appreciate the oil industry for making my life amazing for the last 10 years. Mostly, it is because Michael can SANG!!

#9 - Anne Marie Boskovich
I was really pulling for Anne Marie. When I heard her song choice, I was hoping she would come out and belt Natural Woman out and tear the place down. Nope. Nice dress and body though. Call Hef.

#10 - Steven Fowler
Bad song choice with Michael Jackson's Rock with You. People don't realize how good Michael is until they hear someone else try to sing his songs. I was embarrassed for Steven. Cheesy karaoke version, dude.

#11 - Tatiana Del Toro
Freak!! That's how she came across throughout Hollywood week. But Tatiana proved why she is in this competition. She sang Whitney Houston's Saving All My Love For You. And she did the song some justice. Tatiana was able to show a calm, normal side of herself that just might get her in the Top 12. I think I actually want her there now.

#12 - Danny Gokey
I love Danny Gokey. He is the young guy whose wife died. Danny reminds me of Dr. James R., one of my favorite people in the world. This week, he sang Mariah Carey's Hero. Started rough. Randy called Danny the redeemer of the night. I wouldn't go that far. I think they just like him. I found it a bit mellow. I'm with Simon. It was good. Danny's a good singer. But I'm not buying the hype from Randy and the girls.

So there you have it from Judge #5
American Idol, Season 8

UPDATE:
The 3 who made it through this week are:
#3 - Alexis Grace
#8 - Michael Sarver
#12 - Danny Gokey
No, Tatiana did not make it through. She cried like a baby. But there is still a wildcard round where she could come back...insert Twilight Zone music...

2 comments:

Lily-Pie's Mom said...

Go Danny!

:)
(Love the commentary, Mony)

Shan said...

I love the commentary too. You should definitely be the fifth judge. And I totally buy the hype. Love Danny.