Sunday, May 4, 2008

You Look Spanish


"You speak Spanish?", "Are you Spanish?", "You look Spanish." I hear that all the time these days. Many Spanish-speaking people assume I speak Spanish. I'm not surprised. After all, I AM part Spanish - from Spain, not Mexico.

So why don't I speak my native tongue? I have my great-grandfather to blame for that one. For an otherwise intelligent and successful man, my grandmother's father made a big mistake. Grandpa Salano told my grandmother not to teach her children Spanish or French because it would hold them back in life.

What????!!!! I lived in Canada where French would have been a major asset. For the last 9 years, I have lived in the U.S., where Spanish would be an absolute benefit. Spanish = asset!! My mom's parents spoke in Spanish or French to talk without us understanding what they said. It was nice having my grandmother help when I had French homework.

Oh, the above is a picture of the DVR that Comcast came back out this morning to fix. Jazz woke up at 6 am and so did we!! The Comcast guy was here by 8 am to fix the DVR. Ernesto is from Cali, Columbia and would have preferred if I spoke in Spanish. And yes, I was showered and dressed by 7:30 am.

Thursday April 24, 2008 - 01:42pm

No comments: