Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running with Foxes

When I lived in Canada, I ran half-marathons. I decided to go to a beautiful, scenic location for a long, morning run. I ran along "The Brow". In Hamilton, where I lived, we have an escarpment - an approx. 365 ft ridge that, in places, is a straight rock drop. In other places, it is a beautiful, meandering forest, home to flora and fauna.

On this morning, I encountered some of the fauna. I am not an animal person. Needless to say, I was SCARED when a fox stopped and stared at me, like I was breakfast. I was on the same side of the street (the cliff side) as the fox.

I crossed over, to the house side. Only, look at how FAR from the road, the front door is. I looked at the fox, looked at the front door, walking ever so slowly and praying ever so hard and reverently. I was a long distance runner - built for endurance, not speed. I wasn't so sure I could outrun the fox to the front door. And what if they weren't home!!!!


Needless to say, I was sooooooooooooo relieved when the animal turned, and ran back down the hillside. I never ran there again. In fact, I think this is only the second time I DROVE past the spot since.

No comments: