Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Place of Comfort

Where do you feel warmest and safest in your home? Do you have a place you can go to that is comfortable and feels like "home," or your "sanctuary" in your home?

For most of my life, our family "rec room" in our basement was that place for me. When I think back to the room, it seemed huge. Multiple big sofas, a big TV, stereo system, a table, more chairs. Brown wood panelling until we wall papered over that in later years. (We are talking the 70's, 80's & 90's.)

This is the room where I used to watch TV, do my homework, entertain my friends. Many of my birthday parties were held there. Bridal and baby showers for friends and family were held in our rec room.

It's the place where my dad would listen to his music and I would stand on his feet, dancing. My dad found solace here as well.

My family gathered there after Mom's fabulous dinners on holidays to watch the Ten Commandments and Sound of Music. We also are known to gather to watch Young & The Restless (even the boys).

It's where I spent much of my rehab time after a car incident. And where I would watch the game with my uncles instead of cooking in the kitchen with the women.

So many great memories of our rec room. No pics. Just great memories.

No comments: