Thursday, June 30, 2011

New Conversations

J and I have started hanging out with our neighbors and new friends a lot more lately. These are people who are not Christians, many don't have children, they are not from our church, they are not from the adoption world, and some of them we don't really want to talk about our work with. 

So what does that leave for conversation......????
Not much!

We didn't realize how integrated our lives have been for the last 12 years. We used to work and play with the same people in Tulsa. Even in Chicago, my friends were J's friends from work first and vice versa. 

It has been far more challenging to keep conversation lively and interesting while avoiding our pet conversations. It's a good thing. We are reaching out to people we would not have been friends with typically. I like that I am meeting new people and learning about different lifestyles. It feels like we were in a relationship bubble all this time. 

Don't get me wrong. We still love our friends that we have done life with. This is just a branching out and expanding. It's fun. I highly recommend it.

So, what do you talk about when you are with your friends?
Do you find yourself in a conversation bubble?

2 comments:

Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Books, movies, food, politics (local and international), sex. :-)

And, of course, parenting & partnership & who is going to do the damn dishes this time.

Shan said...

TV, books, movies, the internet, food, restaurants and if all else fails the weather.

In keeping with the same vein I have never met anyone like ML's husband T before. He is so genuinely interested in people and hearing their story. I think it's such an amazing gift every time I see him in a situation with new people. I'm not sure if you had the chance to talk to him while you were here, I know you did with ML, but if you did then you'd know what I was talking about. They've been good for my socially awkward self!