Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Magic - Widney Banana Bread


I could win a prize for my banana bread.
My first posting for this recipe in August 2008 was a straight copy from Betty Crocker's recipe. I've since put my own touches to enhance the moistness and flavor. My family LOVES this recipe.
For you, I share my recipe.

WIDNEY BANANA BREAD

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
6 mashed ripe bananas
(ripe as in, if you don't use today, they are gone)
1/2 cup buttermilk
(I make my own w/1/2 cup 2% milk & 1 tsp lemon juice, let stand 5-10 min.)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
(Optional: Nuts. I don't but you can)
Note: You can make this healthier but it won't taste as good so don't tell people it is my recipe.

Pre-heat & Pan Info
Place oven rack in lowest position.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray Pam on 2 loaf pans.
Use either 2-8" pans or 2-9" pans

What to Do
Mix sugar and butter in a large bowl.
Stir in eggs until well blended.
Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
Beat until smooth.
Stir in remaining ingredients until just moistened.
If you are going to add nuts, here is your chance.
Pour into pans.

Baking Info
Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour or 9-inch loaves about 1 1/4 hours.
Or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 
Cool 5 minutes.
Loosen sides of loaves from pans
Remove from pans.
Let it cool as long as you can stand waiting before slicing. 

Storage
Wrap tightly with Saran Wrap.
Store at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Store in refrigerator for up to 10 days.

Calories
2-12 slice loaves (24 slices); 85 calories each. 
In real life, more calories per slice than that.

Using the Recipe
I don't mind if you use this recipe.
Just keep the name and link back here, please.
It's a matter of courtesy. Thank you.


Original Recipe
This recipe is adapted from Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook, Prentice Hall, (c) 1991. I didn't follow some of their directions and added my own but most of the credit goes to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calories in a Banana and the potasium content as well as being rapidly absorbed from the intestines makes it a good source of fast calories

Heath-er said...

I am so going to try this recipe soon. I actually have a banana bread recipe that I think is super yummy, but I'm going try yours to see if maybe it's better :) Thanks!