I have an online presence.
I blog. I Twitter. I Facebook. I'm LinkedIN.
My mother is always telling me to be careful of what I put out. And that people only know about you what you tell them. Not necessarily true anymore. There is a bunch of stuff out about me that I did not post.
For the most part, I believe that if I live my life honestly and do my best not to royally piss people off, what is out there about me should be safe and things I don't mind an employer finding out. Besides, my current employer follows me on Twitter and is a Facebook friend. There's no hiding....
Rest assured, important people DO Google you (not just your ex-boy/girlfriend). A couple months ago, I was dealing with a potential supplier. During our conference call, he asked if I had lived in Tulsa. I did. He had Googled me and read my blog before we talked.
What's out there about me?
- Corporate Project Manager for a well respected company
- Marketing & Recruiting for a private school
- Fundraising Banquet Co-Chair/Chair for non-profit
- Assistant Director for a Literary and Arts Festival
- Research & Personal Assistant to a Literature Foundation Director
- Blog Reviewer for Thomas Nelson Publishing
- PTO Secretary for a school
- Comments I made on friends blogs
- My knitting/crochet group
- All of my blogs
- All of my tweets
Who needs a resume when you have Google??