Saturday, November 14, 2009

I Had An Inappropriate Relationship

I have to come clean and admit that I had an inappropriate relationship. This love affair started before J and I married. It wasn't a big deal then. More of a novelty. I had never experienced anything like that in Canada. Having something you've never had before kind of thing. After the kids were born, it got more intense. It went from weekly, sometimes late night clandestine meetings to whenever I could find the time. Quite often, it was during lunch and right after work. To be honest, I didn't think twice about it. J had his own inappropriate relationship.

It wasn't until we moved to Chicago that I realized how deeply ingrained it was. How big a part of my life it had become. In hindsight, I see it clearly. Right now, I miss it. I want it again.

As I am a working mom again, I am trying to figure out how I managed to cope with work, volunteer work a house and a family. It was Wal-Mart Supercenters that made it possible. There were 3 Supercenters within a 3 mile radius. There was one 1 mile from work. I could pop over during the day, get my oil changed, get photos printed, pick up a few grocery items, maybe get my nails done at lunch. Heck, I could get lunch there. And gas, too. I could run out before work and grab a fruit tray for work or run out before church on Sunday to grab a pair of nylons if I suddenly found myself without a single pair.

So maybe my relationship with Walmart Supercenters was not appropriate. But I do miss them. They made motherhood doable.

3 comments:

jasonwidney said...

Glad I read the whole thing... was a little worried.

Threeundertwo said...

Recognizing the problem is the first step to helping yourself, LOL.

I was thinking this was going to be about an iphone game or something. Walmart I can understand. Have you seen the website "People of Walmart?"

Shan said...

Anything that makes a working Mom's job easier is good to go in my books.