Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Big Day

On May 5th, 1997, I was hit by a drunk driver. 

The ironic thing is that I was driving home from work - at a drug and alcohol counseling center. After the collision, I was stunned. My glasses had been thrown from my face in the impact. I remember looking at the other driver and thinking, "He looks drunk. But he can't be. It's only 4:40 in the afternoon." Even without my glasses, I could tell the man was drunk! 3x the legal limit, actually.

I was in rehab for almost 2 years. Why? Because one man made the choice to sit in a bar, drinking, for several hours one rainy, Monday afternoon and then made the choice to get in his truck and drive. Life as I had known it was gone.

If you drink even 1 glass, DON'T drive.

2 comments:

Heather Kay said...

Amen! I was hit by a drunk driver about 12 years ago, it was also in the afternoon. My car was totaled but I was only banged up, and convinced to never drink and drive.

Shan said...

So glad you're here to tell about it.