Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Idol - Live Week 3

This is my 5th Judge, non-industry, @home, real person point-of-view of this week's America Idol performances. Call me, Simon Fuller, I'm available for next season...

Songs Theme:
Billboard Hot 100, since it began
This is a dream song range for the contestants because they can choose songs they love, know, and are suited to their voices. These should be the songs they've been singing for years. Let's see who screws up the easiest range of song choice.


#1 - Von Smith
You're All I Need to Get By, a Marvin Gaye song. During Hollywood Week, Von was told he was shouting. He picked a whispery type of song. It was slow at the start of the song. He tried to bring it back around but it was just odd to me. I disagreed with the judges. 


#2 - Taylor Vaifuna
Taylor sang and Alicia Keys song and did it justice. I thought she brought it. Her voice was great and solid. Her performance was a bit cold. Again, I disagreed with the harsh criticism from the judges. I thought the high praise for Von should have gone to Taylor. She gave a better performance. 


#3 Alex Wagner-Trugman
If Prince William and Wayne Gretzky had a baby together, it would look like Alex. This boy need not dance. The singing was good until he did this thing that sounded like he was clearing his throat. I'm sorry Alex, you seem like a sweet guy but, oh dear lord. That was a tragic performance. Simon said he was a hamster trying to be a tiger.


#4 - Arianna Afsar
Arianna chose the Winner Takes it All by Abba. I think the nerves got to Arianna. She started good, but then I don't know what happened. It just didn't work out.  The judges said it was a bad song choice. Paula is right, there were some bright moments in the song. But sadly, I don't think Arianna is going on tomorrow.


#5 - Ju'Not Joyner
Ju'Not sang Hey There Delilah. Ju'Not's arrangement slowed the song down and he did a soulful rendition. But it just made me want to sleep. Ju'Not has a nice voice, which he showcased at the end of the song.


#6 - Kristen McNamara
Kristin proved why she is on this show. Her voice was soulful, sultry, solid. Her performance was da bomb, thus far.


#7 - Nathaniel Marshall
Nathaniel chose a Meatloaf song. It felt like I was watching a high school musical performance on a cruise ship. The vocals were just there for me. I'm with Simon - it was verging on excruciating. Nathaniel and his mom would dance around the house singing the song he chose. And that is where the song should have stayed - at home, with mom.


#8 - Felicia Barton
Felicia chose No One by Alicia Keys. She can do this song. Her voice was so strong. There was a rough note or two.  Felicia put her own little twist to the song, yet keeping it close to the original. Felicia was actually sent home and called back when another contestant dropped out.


#9 - Scott MacIntyre
Scott is legally blind. In Hollywood Week, Scott sang a Daughtry song. He sang a Bruce Hornsby song. Nice. Very nice. I enjoyed this. Scott could be a contender.


#10 - Kendall Beard
Kendall chose This One's For the Girls by Martina McBride.  She's amazing. Great song choice. Current song, lively, suited to her voice and showcased some of her range and vocal ability. Kendall came out and knocked it out like it was what she does everyday. It felt like I was at a concert.


#11 - Jorge Nunez
Jorge chose to sing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me by Elton John. I was not sure when I heard the song choice. Jorge has a thick Spanish accent. Jorge brought it. He was really good. He worked with a dialect coach because of recommendations from the judges at the tryouts. Jorge has a great voice.


#12 - Lil Rounds
Lil sang a Mary J. Blige song. The term, saving the best for last would describe this performance. And it was a performance. I agree with Simon. Brilliant!  She has the whole package and the name to take her to stardom. 


Well, there you have it, from Judge #5.

The 3 who made it through are:
Lil Rounds
Jorge Nunez
Scott MacIntyre

No comments: