Monday, February 9, 2009

You Do WHAT????

We were stuck in traffic on Saturday morning. There were 4 charter buses with the Gatling Chapel name on them. 

Gatling CHAPEL. Is that a church? With 4 charter buses???? Wow! Or maybe it is a wedding chapel. That would make sense. What a great idea. Buses for the wedding party and for the guests. Hmmm...That doesn't really make sense. Why would they need 4 buses and that would be expensive.

I called the phone number on the back of the last bus.

"Gatling Chapel. How may I help you?"

"Hi. Is this a wedding chapel?" I asked.

"No, Ma'am. We are a funeral chapel," she replied.

A WHAT?? A funeral chapel with 4 charter buses?? I mean, it makes sense. Can you imagine 50 cars trying to get across a big city like Chicago, to get to the burial site? Great idea. My mom's family would rent the charter buses. They do big, high dollar funerals. 

I was so curious, I checked out their website gatlinchapelinc.com. Not only do they do funerals, they have a floral shop, limousine and charter bus rentals, print shop, travel agency, recording studio, radio broadcast, and a 445 acre development (the largest black owned development in the world) with a senior home community, gated estate home community, Loews movie theatre and a complex with Wal-Mart, Applebee's, and about 15 other big name chain stores. I actually went to their Wal-Mart Supercenter last weekend.

WoW!

2 comments:

Shan said...

Oh my gosh you make me laugh. I never would have done that. Glad you did because I was curious too.

Toni Rucker said...

LOL I could have told you that. My husbands family knows the owners of Gatlings. We have had all our family funerals through them.