Saturday, May 3, 2008

T-Town to Chi-Town - Day 5


It’s official!! We have a loft in Chicago!!

We are so thrilled and so excited. It feels like our lives in Chicago can now begin. You can’t change your driver’s license, or get a new license plate, or open a bank account, or register at school, etc., without proof of residency, which is either a lease or a contract on a home. I love having an address. We’re not homeless anymore!

We have new license plates!!!

After signing on the condo, we needed to get new license plates – as you read in yesterday’s blog. We got the address and off we went. And we drove. And we drove. And we drove. We thought the address we had, was for this little street downtown, called Elston. It was on Elston, alright, but we didn’t realize Elston STARTS as a little street downtown and becomes this mammoth, long street!! In traffic, it almost took us a full hour to get there.

When we got to the DMV, they make you go into all of these lines. To do what we needed to do, we had to got to 4 different people, who were scattered around a very large room. One of the guys we went to see told us he couldn’t help us because they do out-of-state plates on Thursdays, only. I said: “Are you serious?” He said: “No. I’m just joking.” Oh my goodness! I had started to panic when he said he couldn’t help me. J told him: “I was about to be in a whole lot of trouble!” The guy was great. We had a fun time with him.

The next lady we went to was interesting!! She was this off the wall, older lady who lived alone. She was a riot. Dry, dry sense of humor. She complained she had no one to carry her plant to her car for her. J told we would stick around until she got off and carry it for her. It was almost closing time. Our experience at the DMV was great. It was a long drive, but I’m glad we went to that DMV.

We went to the Black Beetle for dinner. I had an apple martini on an empty stomach. We were so busy, all I had eaten all day was a small sandwich at 11 am. That martini hit me so hard, my head was spinning throughout dinner. By the time the meal was over, I was able to stand up and walk out like a sober person. Staying up until almost 2 am, talking to Chicka, our host, and the martini did me in. I was asleep by 8 pm.

Friday April 4, 2008 - 11:43pm

No comments: