Monday, August 4, 2014

2 Days to 15 Years

The Proposal

J and I were best friends since Nov. 1995. In May of 1999, we both went to his little sister's high school graduation. Actually, J's dad paid us to work the graduation party by doing the decorating, setting up, catering, etc.
J's dad had one of his pilots fly J back to Missouri, where J lived at the time. He had to get back to produce a graduation ceremony there. I went along for the plane ride. I had heard that this pilot had had a few plane crashes and I was feeling adventurous.
Sitting in the back of the plane, J and I talked about our ideal weddings. I assumed we were going to marry other people b/c J refused to leave the town he was living in (and I was kinda dating someone else). I was willing to live anywhere with J except for that one town. We were deadlocked.
The next day I was still in Tulsa. J called and spoke to his dad for a LONG time!!! FINALLY, it was my turn to talk to J.
J: "I worked it out with my dad. I'm moving back to Tulsa at the end of the month and I'm going to work for him."
Me: "That's awesome! I'm so happy for you!!!"
J: "I told my dad we love each other and we want to get married."
Me: "You did????!!!!"
J: "Yeah. I gotta go do this graduation. I'll talk to you tomorrow."
And THAT was my marriage proposal and how J and I went from being best friends to being engaged over a phone call.

No comments: