Thursday, July 1, 2010

Important Sunscreen Information

Our son Motor Mouth has a sun sensitivity - or sun allergy as we refer to it. When exposed to the sun, Motor Mouth's skin becomes itchy and swells. To my son, it feels like he is burning from the inside out. Naturally, we are diligent to apply sunscreen. I thought we had a good sunscreen product from Whole Foods until I went to the  Environmental Working Group's website and saw this list of the 2010 Best Beach & Sport Sunscreens


The site states: "Our top-rated sunscreens all contain the minerals zinc or titanium. They are the right choice for people who are looking for the best UVA protection without any sunscreen chemical considered to be a potential hormone disruptor. None of the products contain oxybenzone or vitamin A and none are sprayed or powdered." Of these, they gave each sunscreen a rating from 0-2 Recommended, 3-6 Caution, or 7-10 Avoid. 

The sunscreen I had purchased was rated a 5. I went back to Whole Foods and purchased Badger, which is rated at a 1.  At $15.99 for 2.9 oz, I call it 'summer gold'. But when you consider a doctor's visit is $20-25, it is really inexpensive. So I bought 2. I'm testing it out to see how my boy does. I'll keep you posted. 

In the meantime, I recommend you read this article on sunscreens that they don't tell us about. I found it through my Twitter Friend JasonSimone
By all means, look 'em up.

No comments: