Sunday, July 25, 2010

100 Open Wounds

I put my daughter in the care of someone I had trusted. Verbal and written instructions on her basic care were provided. Basic stuff: the dermatologist said Mini Me is to ONLY have showers, NOT to have baths, especially bubble baths due to her dry skin. And to apply lotion (provided) to her skin daily.


For 3 weeks, Mini Me had been given baths ONLY. Bubble baths. And no lotion. 



When I saw Mini Me's body, I was shocked!!! Mini Me had over 100 open scratches on her torso. Wait. Let me clarify. I stopped counting when I got to 100 scratches on her chest and back. I did not count her butt, legs, or arms. Mini Me's skin was rough and dry, like course sandpaper. She was constantly scratching her itchy body with her nails.


It took 6 weeks of intense, painful, daily - often twice daily - heavy repair lotion being applied to Mini Me's skin to get rid of all of the scales, scratches, and dry skin. Mini Me still has some scars. I'm hoping they will go away eventually.

It's one thing to ignore my childcare directives (that came from a dermatologist). But when a child is clearly suffering, at some point you have to say to yourself, "Hmmm, maybe I should put some lotion on this kid and stop giving her bubble baths."

1 comment:

CMB said...

If I were you, I'd keep my child far away from that person. There is just no excuse for hurting a child that way.