Thursday, February 26, 2009

American Idol - Live Week 2


I watch American Idol, and think they should have a 5th judge. A non-industry, @home, real person point-of-view. Mine. Until Simon Fuller, American Idol producer, starts taking my calls, here is my weekly rundown of the contestants.

Songs Theme:
Billboard Hot 100, since it began
This is a dream song range for the contestants because they can choose songs they love, know, and are suited to their voices. These should be the songs they've been singing for years. Let's see who screws up the easiest range of song choice.

Contestants
#1 - Jasmine Murray
Cute high school student. She sang Love Song. Pitchy. Pitchy. Pitchy. I'm disappointed she didn't shine because she has a great voice and is a complete package. Jasmine just couldn't pull it together on this song. She is only 17, so she should come back in 2 or 3 years.

#2 - Matt Giraud
Matt sang a Coldplay song. I thought I knew the song, but I think Matt butchered it to the point of no recognition. I was looking for the amazing-voiced Hollywood week guy but he was not there. This was not enough to put him through...Unless all the other buys bomb.

#3 - Jeanine Vailes
Jeanine picked a Maroon 5 song. Wrong song choice. Pitchy. I suspect her voice is so much better than this song. She should have done a Christina Aguilera song where she could have shined. It was a train wreck. She does have great legs. I think if the Pussy Cat dolls need another singer, she would fit in.

#4 - Norman Gentle / Nick Mitchell  
Norman Gentle performed. He was certainly entertaining. I LOVE Norman Gentle. I was disappointed he didn't showcase is voice as much as he has in the past, because he really CAN sing. Very well. 

#5 - Allison Iraheta 
The 16-yr old picked a Heart song that is suited to her voice. She knows how to work a mic, that is for sure. Allison's singing was pitchy, especially at the beginning. But I think she brought it after the bridge. I don't think she was as good as the judges made her out to be. She was the best SO FAR.

#6 - Kris Allen 
Kris sang Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. I'm always worried when people pick a Michael song. Michael Jackson, for all his faults, is an amazing singer. There is a reason people in the industry still respect the man. Kris Allen sounded like mediocre karaoke and looked so awkward. Bad song choice. I totally disagree with Simon and Paula.

#7 - Megan Corkrey 
Megan sang Put Your Records On. I thought it was a cute performance. She picked a song perfect for her voice. Which, her voice has a distinct sound. She has a unique voice. I think Megan should go through. 

#8 - Matt Brietzke
Matt is a welder, who sang Tonic because it encapsulates love. Very low key performance, even when they kicked in with the electric guitar. I had to close my eyes to listen to the song because his hand motions were distracting. I think his voice sounded nice but it was boring, though. Listening to Matt's comments after getting negative feedback on the song choice from ALL 4 judges, makes me I think Matt deserves to go home. He is an idiot. All the judges said bad song choice but he would have done it anyway. 

#9 - Jesse Langseth
Jesse sang Bette Davis Eyes. Bad song choice. I think this was a much larger song than her voice is capable of. She sounded shrill. Her clothing was atrocious. Those jeans with that shirt was horrible. At this stage of the game, the contestants need to showcase their voice and their vocal range. Jesse picked the wrong song.

#10 - Kai Kalama
I didn't expect such a safe, cheesy song performance out of Kai. His voice sounded nice. It wasn't the breakout performance people need to bring at this stage of the competition. 

#11 - Mishavonna Henson
Mishavona sang Drops of Jupiter. Solid voice. Solid performance.

#12 - Adam Lambert 
Adam sang Satisfaction. He brang it. He performed. The song was lively. Adam managed to showcase his voice beautifully. Wow. I loved it!! Great look. 

So there you have it, from Idol Judge #5
American Idol, Season 8

The 3 who made it through...
Allison Iraheta
Kris Allen
Adam Lambert

No comments: