Friday, January 2, 2009

Year End Meme


This was a fun and a bit cathartic
It's what all the cool bloggers are doing

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? 
Experience the devastation of a spouse's lay off, sell a home, travel with 2 children alone, move across country with my own family, become a stay@home mom, homeschool my son, blog almost daily, crochet amigurumi, create family on our own.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
I don't make new year's resolutions. But last year, my husband and I said we wanted to work on developing friendships outside of our family (parents, siblings). We didn't have a chance to do this as our lives were turned upside down in January with J's lay off. But I feel like I've developed some online friendships that are meaningful to me, through my blog sphere and with the aid of Facebook. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? 
Yes. My sister-in-law gave birth to her very first son. He is beautiful!!!!

4. Did anyone close to you die? 
Not this year. 

5. What countries did you visit? 
U.S. and Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? 
I would like to develop the kind of woman friend relationships I read and hear about. I don't know how to do that so this next year will be interesting. 

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 
March 31st - J started his new job
April 18th - We moved our family to Chicago
Nov 4th - Obama election

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
I'm a different person than I was in January. I run our home. Instead of my husband doing all the cooking and shopping and child care, I do it. We've created a new picture of what our family looks like. 

9. What was your biggest failure? 
I have been really bad at procrastinating. I think it is how I am 'handling' my year of massive change. "If I don't do it or look at it, it's not there and I don't have to deal with one more thing." Not good.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury
Nope. Nothing new. I am still recovering from a foot injury from Feb/Mar '06 that I had surgery for Mar '07. I thought it would have been history by now. It's not.

11. What was the best thing you bought? 
Any one of my 3 purses from my special store in Tulsa. I get compliments EVERY time I go out with any one of those bags. Strangers compliment me all the time on them. I had J pick out 2 more while in Tulsa this Christmas.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? 
My kids for adjusting to city life without skipping a beat.  They just go with the flow. They don't complain about the cold. They are so wonderful.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine.

14. Where did most of your money go? 
Mortgage/rent, clothes - we've all gone up 3 sizes this year!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? 
Nothing. This was a really, really, really hard year. For all the great things - like our amazing loft - there has been a lot of hard and bad. I hit such lows this year, I never thought I could claw my way back up. Right now, I feel numb. Don't get excited about stuff and I won't get disappointed.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
No One by Alicia Keys. It was the first radio song Mini Me started singing, all on her own.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter and about the same.
My mother says if you don't have more money saved at the end of the year than you started with, then you have failed. We lost money on our house sale in Tulsa and have been living on savings since January. I think being about the same is a plus, all things considered.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? 
Save more. Do yoga more.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? 
Crying.

20. How did you spend Christmas? 
In Tulsa with my husband's family. Because gifts were opened Tuesday night, it felt like Christmas was our usual New Year's Day dinner with extended family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? 
I fell in love with my husband again. And we all fell in love with Chicago, our new church, and our new friends.

22. What was your favorite TV program? 
Ugly Betty and Brothers & Sisters and House.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? 
I avoid hatred - way too strong of an emotion for me. I will say, I am much less angry and frustrated with my husband's former employers than I was at this time last year. I'm happier with our lives this year and it's, in part, thanks to them.

24. What was the best book you read? 
The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained: How to Defeat Mommy Stress by Lysa Terkeurst
It made me realize I am not alone and that other women go through the same stuff.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? 
96.3 - Our Chicago radio station that has amazing great music. 

26. What did you want and get? 
I got more than I bargained for this year. Very blessed.

27. What did you want and not get? 
To break even on our house sale. A sewing machine.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? 
I Am Legend with Will Smith. It came out Dec '07 but I think I saw it '08. I want to get it on DVD but I'm afraid it will give me bad dreams again. I loved it though!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 
Went to the Museum of Science & Industry with the family. Saw chickens hatch - on my my birthday! I could have watched them all day. We ate lunch at Cafe Trinidad - after all, I was born in Trinidad. Then my wonderful husband took the kids and gave me hours and hours and hours alone. I turned 39.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? 
The year turned out pretty good. Maybe if I didn't have to go to the brink of insanity to get here.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? 
2007? I was actually dressed pretty trendy in 2007.
2008? I gained so much weight, I just wear whatever fits! 

32. What kept you sane? 
Blogging. My faith in God - I know from history that it all works out.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? 
Famous people don't move me that much. I did meet Oprah.

34. How many one-night stands?
Two. Hahaha! Just joking. I'm married.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The reaction of my Christian, Republican friends to Obama's presidential win

36. Who did you miss? 
Living: My in-laws, Misty, Aubry, my Sistas
Dead: Grant Kent. I am always blown away at how much I still miss him.

37. Who was the best new person you met? 
My new pastor: Jackson Crum. Jackson himself is great, but it is the team of elders, pastors, directors, staff he has developed around him that make Park Community Church a place we love to worship and work at.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. 
Same thing I learn every year - It's all gonna work out in the end!

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. 
Bob Marley's "Don't Worry 'Bout a Thing"
"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for this glimpse of your lives, Simone. I had no idea what you guys had been through this year. Bravo for the way you have handled the stress and the change. Your story should inspire lots of people who are making changes they never dreamed of or sought out.

Molly N. said...

I agree with Kathy. And I'll add that you are refreshingly real, yet remain positive, you are tough, yet vulnerable. Beautiful characteristics indeed. I'm so glad Jason found such a wonderful friend, and wife.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

Wow, Nickerson ladies, I am humbled by your responses. Thank you.

Threeundertwo said...

#11: Do you have pictures?

#25: I want to read this now.

#26: Didn't you get an iphone this year too?

#27: Try Craigslist.com for a sewing machine.

#32: Me too.

#39: Love this. I was just listening to it 2 days ago.

This has been such a huge year for you! You are starting 2009 so differently than 2008, I'm looking forward to watching what evolves. You are such a brave spirit.