Sunday, October 5, 2008

You Asked. I'm Answering, Pt 3

Oooooooo, this is FUN!!!
I blog so much of our lives, who knew there were still 
unanswered questions?

How We Eloped is short 1 comment - Come on, you can do it!!
Go HERE and comment. I'll post tomorrow, if you do.

FAMILY ASIDE, WHAT DO YOU MISS MOST ABOUT CANADA?
When I lived in Tulsa, I would have said MacIntosh apples, summer temps below 100 degrees, and the smell of a crisp, winter morning. But Chicago brought this back to me.
Hmmm....
The drive from Guelph to Hamilton on Hwy 6, livable basements, driving or running past places that have deep significance and great memories - my history.

DO YOU THINK YOU WILL EVER MOVE BACK TO TULSA?
J's family lives there, so I can't say I never.  We love living in the city. I can't imagine going back there. While there are wonderful people in Tulsa, whom I love dearly, I just never felt comfortable in my own skin there.

HOW DID YOU COME TO YOUR DECISION TO HOMESCHOOL?
I did NOT want to homeschool. In Chicago, there is a school hierarchy with lots of technical school terms and lotteries and applications (due in December) to get into any age range - even kindergarten. When we moved to Chicago in April, parents were finding out what school their child was accepted to - we were too late to even apply.

We were going to send Motor Mouth to our neighborhood school - they HAVE to accept him. But he had a year of K4 last year that covered what they were doing this year in K5. Which meant he would be extremely bored, and, most likely get in trouble all the time. We needed school to be a positive experience for him this year. Plus, we got several bad reviews on the school - one from a woman whose mother taught there.

My new best friend in Chicago is homeschooling her daughter. I was going to do the same program she did, but thought it was too expensive. I asked around and searched the web. A friend in Tulsa, told me about the K12 curriculum. It made the first curriculum seem cheap. Fortunately, I found the same K12 curriculum offered by Chicago Public Schools for FREE! Motor Mouth was accepted and that is how I came to do homeschooling.

1 comment:

Threeundertwo said...

I'm loving this series. I am so in awe of homeschoolers - seems like so much work!